Just finished The Energy Bus by Jon Gordon. It’s a business book written in the style of Patrick Lencioni and his trademarked business fables. The book uses a pretty simple and established concept for the team and the direction you’re taking them – the bus. As the story unfolds he shares his 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy. Here’s the 10 Rules:
- You’re the driver of your bus.
- Desire, vision and focus move your bus in the right direction.
- Fuel your ride with positive energy.
- Invite people on your bus and share your vision for the road ahead.
- Don’t waste your energy on those who don’t get on the bus.
- Post a sign that says NO ENERGY VAMPIRES ALLOWED on your bus.
- Enthusiasm attracts more passengers and energizes them during the ride.
- Love your passengers.
- Drive with purpose.
- Have fun and enjoy the ride.
At first, I was tense about the frequent use of “energy” and such, but I strongly resonated with the book. My favorite chapter tangibly values positive outlook and enthusiasm – and notes how fear and doubt in large doses are the enemy of momentum. The best part of the book for me focused on the vision and passion of the leader, and how it must be greater than the fear, doubt and disbelief of the team. Powerful stuff, glad my staff is reading it so the bus moves together smoothly – exciting days ahead! A-