If you want to have college age people a part of your church, here are 8 things you should do:
- Acknowledge and invite conversation about the complexity of questions and thought processes rather than offering simple and regurgitated answers.
- Make your mission and values absolutely clear and concise and, if you’re a college minister, make sure you clearly show how this aligns with the mission and values of the church you are a part of.
- Talk about Jesus versus proper behaviors or habits.
- Be intentional about bridging relationships with older adults – it doesn’t happen on its own.
- Take the scriptures seriously versus only using them when they back up your points. We are not as creative or as deep as God is.
- Pursue self awareness and humility instead of bashing “heathens” or people who “don’t get it.”
- Be intentional about addressing the issue of identity in everything you do and teach.
- Center your ministry on God’s mission of reconciling the world to Himself through Jesus rather than on monthly events.