So your church is thinking about hiring a youth worker, eh? Wondering about who and when? It’s been my experience that if you’re wondering, good chances are it’s time.
Here are some helpful hiring tips that just might make this job search go smooooooth!
1) “Sustainable Youth Ministry” by Mark DeVries recommends 1 FT staff person for every 50 youth who are active somewhere in the life of the church. 25 youth means a 20-hr person and so 12-13 youth would mean hiring someone for about 10 hours a week.
2) What to pay? Go to the January 2012 issue of Group Magazine and check out their latest salary survey. They provide loads of stats and variables to consider.
3) Where to post your church’s position? Simply Youth Ministry, Youth Ministry Architects and Youth Specialties have the best job boards. Of course, your denom office is good. Colleges and seminaries are a must. Plus? There’s always Craig’s List.
4) Pick 3 non-negotiables and 1-2 “these would be great IF” qualities in a staff hire. Head towards that.
5) Don’t set the hire up for failure by holding off everything till “the new person gets here.” The youth ministry belongs to the church and so does the YM’s vision and values. The person you hire should be able to match up with similar skills and purpose.
Oops, gotta power down. The flight attendant is looking at me funny.