My friend and co-worker AC (who runs yoacblog.com) put together a quick list of relational youth ministry thoughts and tips. Thought I would grab a couple of them and point you there for the rest:
- Relational ministry has more to do with the example you set than the words you say.
- My walk with Christ and my prayer life plays a huge role in leading and guiding students to Christ.
- Be intentional and strategic. ” He who fails to plan, plans to fail.” Corny…I know, but so true!!
- Don’t waste students time by hanging out with students to stroke your own ego.
- I am a spiritual leader first and friend second. – Your spiritual authority can be easily compromised when you reverse the order.
- Honesty is huge in building trust with a student. -You don’t have to be perfect but you do have to be honest.
- Be a listener and ask them questions. Check out Conversation Tactics for Youth Workers
- Listening and being honest wins you the right to speak into their lives. – Listening shows I care and honesty shows character and realness.
- It’s not about the quantity of time spent with students but the quality of time spent with students.
- Don’t be afraid to ask the tough questions.
- When the opportunitay presents itself for you to disciple, obey Nike and “Just do it”. – nothing else on the agenda is more important.
- Never cut a student off when they are sharing. If you can’t remember what you were going to say it probably wasn’t worth you sharing anyway.